Hello! My name is Teresa and I don’t know if I’m an alcoholic. And I don’t really care. But what I do know is I was drinking a lot when my world was upside down and sideways. Not in a good way.
I wasn’t born with a beer bottle in my mouth and I wasn’t down and out with a bottle of wine in a paper bag. Although some say alcoholism is hereditary and a disease, there are also many reports and studies by equally impressive experts, that say hogwash! With my particular story and others I have interviewed and coached, I tend to lean toward the hogwash side. But not always.
What does this have to do with “5 Popular Reasons Why Women Drink Too Much …”? Well, plenty! When we drink too much and often, it becomes a habit. You develop a habit with alcohol just like with many things, exercise, eating ice cream in bed, biting your nails, drinking coffee, brushing your teeth, even putting your shoes on. Pay attention the next time you sit down to put shoes on, you have a pattern you tend to stick to that’s become a habit. We can break patterns and replace habits – easy shmeasy. Okay, so maybe not so easy, but definitely possible.
The point to the “5 Popular Reasons…” is to help you identify what you’re trying to accomplish when drinking. ‘Cause ya see, most women drink for very similar reasons. Only it’s typically a secret.
Let’s get started!
- STOP THINKING – This was a big one for me and I know so many other successful women who just can’t turn “it” off. Reminds me of Susan Powter’s “Stop the Insanity” in the 90’s. I still struggle with this from time to time and have learned some tricks to help. Yes, there are non-sedative ways to help you catch those uber important z’s.
- SOCIALIZING – When was the last time a coworker or buddy said “let’s get together for a walk sometime” – it’s usually let’s go grab a cocktail. And even though I haven’t drank in over 10 years I attend many functions where wine is the “Star” of the party. Wine is big these days. There are a plethora of mommy and me groups that encourage drinking. You can’t seem to get away from it.
- SLEEP – Another big one for me. I was a single mom, kicking ass as a sales executive, getting my boys to their basketball practices, and experiencing massive insomnia. Nothing a couple drinky poos couldn’t help, right?
- SEX – Well, when you’re exhausted from all the other demands of life, having a good roll in the hay just seems a little more appealing after a little elixir.
- CONFIDENCE – Oh and the liquid courage. Who hasn’t used liquor to talk to the cute guy, go on the dance floor, or to karaoke? You know, I sounded just like Wynona Judd when I use to karaoke. Hmmm, I wonder if I still do?
This list is not exhaustive and there are many more that I may do another post about at another time.
My point is not to have all the answers. It’s to invite you to consider how you’re using alcohol to problem solve, self-medicate, check-out or numb and look at some other options to help in these areas. And to let you know…YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
– Teresa Rodden, Certified Life Coach